Wednesday 4 May 2011

Frost


Collapsed umbrellas of Astilboides petiolaris
After two months of almost frost-free conditions, the 'warmest April on record', and with everything three weeks ahead of normal, we had a light but damaging frost this morning. All the usual suspects copped-it to some extent, but it's interesting to see the different effects around the garden, and how things are affected differently. Most are apparently untouched, fortunately, but here and there are indication's that Jack's finger has passed - yesterday's twisted petals of Cypripedium are now lank and dangling, but the rest of the flower is fine. No doubt the evidence will all have disappeared within a few weeks, but I do hope that things like Daphniphyllum macropodum, with last year's leaves wecked by the winter, will be able to muster a new crop of shoots.
New shoots on Daphniphyllum macropodum killed by frost.

2 comments:

  1. Hi John,
    I have had the same problem here in France, Normandy, three weeks ago. Daphhniphyllum is quite well now but a new planted tree, a Davidia has lost all its leaves burnt by the frost. It is the"Sonoma" one...Hoping that new leaves will come ! I doubt.Many Hostas have suffered and are flowering now. I think that the dryness is the reason for these flowers at the moment.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John. I love your blogs and with this I am setting my own up. Can you provide me with details of a good host site for html address.
    thanks. alex.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.